Thursday, June 7, 2012

Tiny Orange Mousses With Strawberry Sauce

I had some old tin Jello molds I picked up last year. 12 for $1. They were very cool but I never actually planned on making jello with them. I just liked the way they looked. If I were not feeling so dragged down on the drugs right now, I would stack them all cool looking and take photos for this post. It's what  should do. But I can't, I don't have enough spoons right now. I'm actually a little overdue to take the steroids so maybe I'll be buzzing later, but at this moment I'm feeling wiped out and all I want to do is get this posted. :)


So the idea was super cute. This was the next recipe in the jello book and it said you could do these as 12 individual servings. I didn't think about the pail orange color coming off as slightly flesh toned, or that the shapes would be quite so breast like, so now all I see is boobies. Chloe's styling with the raspberry placed right in the center top didn't help stop my giggling.



Even though now all I can see is boobies every time I look at these the kids say they are the most amazing things ever. These were supposed to last for two days, they are already gone. I didn't do the strawberry sauce in the recipe, but used fresh strawberries instead. Not only do they taste better but they are so much cheaper this time of year. So I just cut them up, put them in a pan with sugar, and vanilla, pureed when done and added a bit of corn starch to thicken it up. But the cookbook recipe is here:

Orange Mouse With Strawberry Sauce

1½ cups boiling water
1 package (8-serving size) or 2 packages (4-serving size each) orange jello
2 teaspoons grated orange peel (optional)
1 cup cold water
¾ cup cold orange juice
1 tub (8 ounces) Cool Whip whipped topping, thawed
1 package (10 ounces) frozen strawberries or raspberries in syrup, pureed in blender.

Stir boiling water into gelatin and orange peel in a large bowl at least 2 minutes until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in cold water and orange juice. Refrigerate about 1¼ hours or until slightly thickened (consistency of unbeaten egg whites).

Stir in whipped topping with wire whisk until smooth. Pour into 6-cup mold which has been sprayed with non stick cooking spray.

Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm. Unmold. Serve with pureed strawberries.

Makes 12 servings

For individual servings: Poor mouses into 12 (6-ounce) custard cups, fill each about ¾ full

Lemon Mousses: Substitute lemon jello and lemon peal for the orange.
**I would think you could sub lemon aid for the OJ also**

Last image, styling by Chloe of course



Now be very proud of me. At least I kept the word boobies out of the title of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment