Saturday, June 9, 2012

Not Just Jello

Chloe was starting to feel a little peckish and it's still a couple of hours before dinner, so I dished her out some of the pea salad I made this morning. "It looks so pretty on this plate mom, you should go take a picture of it." She says this as she is walking away eating it.....

I had another plate though.



So Jello isn't my only food of convenience this summer. Every couple of days I also make some sort of salad. My kids, being 10 and 13 are perfectly capable of making themselves lunch and the fridge, freezer and cabinets are kept stocked with healthy food choices. They don't always take the time to to actually make themselves anything though and about two hours before dinner is supposed to start will be telling me they are starving. I'll ask if they bothered to make themselves lunch today and of course they will sigh like it's the hardest thing in the world to actually fend for themselves. So these salads have been our compromise and it has worked out so wonderfully.


 
The kids have food that is already prepared that they can just scoop up and eat, and I have a side dish to serve with dinner also. So far this summer we have done coleslaw, potato salad, tuna and shells, and now this pea salad. I can make these in the mornings when I still have all my energy and am feeling well, and it helps to cut back on the workload. One less thing to worry about lunch, one less thing to fix at dinner and they usually last about 3 to 4 days. They have really helped conserve my spoons. ;)

English Pea Salad
1 frozen bag of peas thawed
½ cup velveeta cheese cubed
2 hard boiled eggs diced
4 slices cooked bacon chopped fine
½ small red onion chopped fine
½ cup mayo
salt and pepper to taste

Mix and refrigerate until ready to serve

No comments:

Post a Comment