Thursday, March 4, 2010

You Win Some, You Lose Some

Chron's rule number one, don't take your steroids before bed.

After a restless nights sleep I woke up at 6 am to get the kids off to school, only to find out 10 minutes before the bus was to arrive that school was two hours late due to an electrical outage. No sneaking back to bed for me. I also missed my blood work appointment. It's a walk in appointment but only runs from 8:00 to 9:30. I'll have to go tomorrow instead, another day of not being able to sneak back to bed after the kids are gone to school.

On the bright side the UPS man came today and brought me something I have been waiting for. New backdrops!!! So I grabbed my two favorite models and tortured them just a bit. I'm working on a new kids theme session. I want it to have a vintage feel to it showing the relationship between kids and their pets. Here's a couple of ideas that Chloe and Daisy worked out with me.
 
 
 
 
 
I have one more thing coming in the mail for this set and then I think it will be ready - to torture Chloe and Daisy again. :) I'm waiting until the end of the month to announce this on my website and open it up for clients. Then I will have taken my last loading dose of cimzia and I'll know if I can handle doing this. I run each of my theme sets one Fri and Sat a year. Theme sets book on average 20 kids and with this it will also be pets. That's going to take a lot of energy. More energy then I have right now, but I'm hoping to run it this summer if the meds take.

Speaking of energy I was hoping these healthy power boosters would be a new addition to our food repertoire. Once again I was left with a no hitter. On the menu Addictive Sweet Potato Burritos. I love sweet potatoes but the kids, not so much. I nearly had them fooled though that these were just "bean burritos" but after a few bites both kids said they "tasted funky". K said they were edible but not something I needed to make again. Then they all made me promise to make enchiladas next week - K actually said he will be needing 4 because his buddy at work will be taking two. Normally I take the extra enchilada's over to my parents, I guess this time I'm going to have to keep them a secret.


Tonight's dinner hit it out of the ball park though. The whole family cleaned their plates of the main course. I also had extra sweet potatoes so I made mashed sweet potatoes with brown sugar and Cinnamon along with California mixed veggies. I'm the only one that ate the sweet potatoes. Chloe said I overcooked the veggies, and I did I just didn't think she would care so much. Raw veggies and active Crohn's is not a good match, so if I want to eat them they need to be pretty soft. I guess I'll be steaming them from now on, I already love my veggies so however the princess wants her veggies she will get them. Now for the star of the show:

Sweet and Sour Pork Chops I found this recipe over at taistofhome.com. The best part is, you can make them in the crock pot. I love slow cooker meals. Not only can I just throw it in and forget about it. Then there are days like today when I actually forget - so it went in frozen hard as a rock. I finished the rest of the recipe about an hour later when I could pull the pork chops apart. I never said I was a good cook - only that I liked to cook. :)
Sweet 'n' Sour Pork Chops Recipe

Ingredients

1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
1 cup honey barbecue sauce - I used Sweet Baby Rays Honey BBQ
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons chili sauce - we skipped this because the BBQ made it plenty spicy for me and the kids
4 bone-in pork loin chops (3/4 inch thick and 8 ounces each)

Directions
In a small bowl, combine the pineapple, barbecue sauce, onion and chili sauce. Pour half into a greased 3-qt. slow cooker. Top with pork chops and remaining sauce. Cover and cook on low for 4-1/4 to 5-1/4 hours or until meat is tender. Yield: 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment