Sunday, November 20, 2011

Old Mother Hubbard

I have been a little lax on my meal planning lately. How lax? Lets just say I'm supposed to be having Thanksgiving at my house this week and I still don't know what I'm serving, besides the turkey. So last Wednesday when it was time to make dinner I was in a bit of a crunch.

I had sat out a pound of ground beef  thinking I had all the ingredients to make lasagna, I didn't. I also decided I wasn't up to working that hard. :) I didn't really have a lot on hand to make anything! Beings a search on AR seemed to turn up mostly hamburgers, lasagna, and meet loaf I decided dig a little deeper. Both in my pantry and into AR's database. I found dry onion soup mix and decided that might have some nice possibilities. After doing an advanced search where I listed ground beef, and dry onion soup mix as ingredients to search for in a recipe. I found this:
1/2 pound ground beef
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 cups water
1 (10 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables
1/4 cup dry onion soup mix
1 teaspoon white sugar

Directions



1.In a large pot over medium high heat, sauté the ground beef for about 5 minutes, or until browned. Drain off excess fat.


2.Add the tomatoes, sauce, water, vegetables, soup mix and sugar. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

TIPS for the Crohnies:
I know  lot of us Crohnies have trouble with veggies so here are a few tips to help you get through this recipe.
1. Don't use a bag of mixed frozen veggies. Just use the ones that are OK for you to eat. I actually only had a half a bag of mixed veggies on hand so that's what I used. The rest is part of a bag of peas and carrots and a partial bag of lima beans.
2. Celery - throw it in the food processor and chop it fine then remove any strings the processor doesn't chop up. This is also how I hide both celery and onion from little Mis C in most my cooking.
3. Boil the heck out of them, yes they will be a bit mushy but it will be easier for your gut to digest them. Also all the flavor and nutrients go into the soup broth, so it's not like boiling them in plain water and straining it out. Your going to eat the broth with the soup so you still get both the flavor and nutrients.
Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment